- These instructions assume your current site is the latest version of Joomla 1.0, which is 1.0.15.
- These instructions assume you are not using a UTF-8 database. (The UTF-8 database is sometimes used for European languages with diacritic Latin characters -- umlauts, accents etc. -- and with other non Latin languages.)
- It is always advisable to backup your site before making any changes.
- Any third-party extensions used on your site will need to be migrated separately. Some third-party migrators are listed in the Joomla! Extensions Directory at http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/migrator-extensions
- For more details on any of the above notes, see http://docs.joomla.org/Migrating_from_1.0.x_to_1.5_Stable
- This tutorial assumes the user is familiar with manual installation of Joomla. See Installation Part 1 and Part 2 for instructions on manual installation.
1. Download the migrator component from Pasamio Project's at JoomlaCode.org (http://joomlacode.org/gf/project/pasamioprojects/frs). At the time of this writing, the latest version of this component is "Migrator_1.5", filename "migrator.zip" (http://joomlacode.org/gf/download/frsrelease/10646/41924/migrator.zip).
2. Install the migrator component on your 1.0 site (Installers -> Component).
3. Open the migrator component screen (Components -> Migrator). Note the links at the bottom of the screen.
4. If you have any third-party migrator plugins, install them either using the "Add 3rd Party Migrators" link or by following the instructions on the third-party migration script.
5. Click on the "Create Migration SQL File" link, scroll down to "Start Migration" and let the process run until you get the message "Migration Complete!".
6. Click the Download link (either from the "Migration Complete" screen or from the Migrator component's main screen), and download the sql file that was created for you.
7. Set up the Joomla 1.5 install files on another webserver or in a subfolder of the current webserver. You cannot create the 1.5 site on top of the 1.0 site. (See Joomla installation tutorial)
8. Set up a database for the new install, of if you are using the same database, remember to use a different prefix for the database tables. (See Joomla installation tutorial)
9. Begin the Joomla 1.5 install as usual, except that when you get to the "Main Configuration" screen of the install process:
a. rather than choosing "Install Default Sample Data", choose the "Load Migration Script" option instead.
b. fill in the "Old Table Prefix" field. This is probably the default "jos_".
c. click the browse button next to "Migration Script" and upload the sql file that was created in Step 5 above. (Note: If size of your sql file is larger than the maximum allowable upload size for your server, upload the sql file via ftp to /installation/sql/migration/ folder and name the file "migrate.sql".)
d. check the box next to "This script is a Joomla! 1.0 migration script."
e. click the button "Upload and Execute".
10. Continue with installation as usual. (See Joomla installation tutorial Part 2)